This activity is suitable for students aged 5-9, you can download a free, printable PDF version here.
Print out onto card two images from our collection that relate to your topic – e.g.
- The Kongorou and HM Bark Endeavour
- Locomotion I and SS Great Britain
- The Penny Black and the Telegraph machine
- The Miners’ lamp and the Steam whistle
Children carefully cut each image into shapes, mix them up and give them to a partner to put back together. Will you give them the original image to refer to?
Talk about the images once they are complete (our notes that accompany each image will help with this):
- What is it made from?
- How do you think it works/was used?
- Where was it seen/used?
- Who used it/travelled on it?
- What can it tell us about the past?
- How did it change people’s lives in the past?
- How is it different to today?